When it comes to entertaining, trust me, a plain-jane beverage selection just won’t do. It’s time for your favorite stacked lady to be shown off and paraded around your next party. Who am I talking about? None other than The Bloody Mary. So fine, she is to be lavished and celebrated in a big way at a big event. After all, she is lush, beautiful, sexy and she loves to party, just like you. The Bloody Mary is everything your nagging everyday cocktail or domestic IPA is not. She’s playful, spicy, sweet, savory and a little exotic. She’s full of flavor, full of surprises and ready to go.
What better way to indulge than to adorn your lovely Bloody Mary with all the right baubles; after all, the mistress of entertaining does so much for you. With contradictions of her innocent, lycopene laced antioxidants mixed with her bad girl vodka side, you should treat her right. Worried you might not live up to expectations? Not to fret, this guide will help you give your Bloody Mary all the proverbial “blue boxes” to dress her up just the way you like her. Come on now, put your game-face on and let’s do this!
Let’s get stylin’- You’ll need some pretty hardware:
- 16 oz Wide-mouth glasses tall enough to hold a skewer full of goodies or a tall stalk of celery
- Variety of small plates, ramekins, small bowls, ball jars, fun smallish containers
- Little Spoons for scooping spices in your glass
- Long Wooden Skewers for stacking all the baubles… and by baubles, I mean condiments
- Plastic, paper and meat straws -yes, they make meat straws—http://www.bennysoriginalmeatstraws.com/)
Set the table, real pretty like. Begin by filling your one gallon pitcher with your chosen Bloody Mary blend. Set the vodka bottle (chosen liquor) and a shot glass or two (just in case folks want to add more spirit to their drink), a bucket of ice, then set all of the below condiments in various heights in bowls and ramekins on a long table or bar area in an attractive organized way. I like to add linens and various levels to prop my accoutrements on. I pre-fill my pitchers (or I use pretty glass containers that have a spigot) with the already prepared Bloody Mary’s to make an easy, already spiked, start for my guests.
Here are the ingredients that you will need to set up your Super Sexy Bloody bar:
- HERBS & SPICES
- Sea Salt (coarse)
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Celery salt
- Dill (dried)
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Worcestershire sauce
- Horseradish (prepared)
- Hot Sauce(s)
- Vodka- Keep it classy- don’t go cheap
Or…Get crazy with something unexpected:
- Tequila- Get spicy with a Bloody Maria
- Mezcal- Get smoky with a Smokin’ Mary
- TOMATO JUICE
- Clamato Juice
- Beef broth
- Pickle Juice
The Optional add-ins:
- VEGGIES (& CITRUS):
- Pickles (spears),
- Jalapeños, seeded and grilled
- Celery – Tall and Leafy
- Dried Chipotle Peppers- Placed in the Tequila or Mezcal to steep one day earlier
- Cherry Tomatoes- fresh and slightly roasted
- MEATS & SEAFOOD, ETC.:
- Thick Cut Bacon
- Beef Jerky
- Meat Straws (see above)
- Big ol’ Shrimps
- Sliders- yes, a full on slider with bun and all
- Fried Chicken
- Chicken Wings
Pro tip: The recipes below are calculated for 1 gallon sized pitchers of Bloody Mary’s – When you are ready to mix up your pitcher, depending on its size, calculate how many ounces fit in your pitcher by adding the Bloody mix and the vodka in a 3 to 1 ratio, leaving room for ice.
Now that bar accoutrements are set up and ready for your guests, let’s get started with some base recipes that can be altered to meet tastes:
The Classic Bloody Mary- She’s a real beauty!
- Begin with 2 teaspoons of pepper, and 3 tablespoons of celery salt in the bottom of the pitcher.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons of horseradish and at least 7 shakes of Tabasco sauce. Add 64 ounces of tomato juice and 20 ounces of your favorite vodka.
- Fill your glass with the bloody mixture about ¾ way to the top, add a small scoop of ice, then squeeze a wedge of fresh lemon and drop it into the mix.
- Then, because this is the classic, just add a stalk of celery and a skewer of a few olives; maybe add a pickle spear. Now, you have yourself the most basic of Bloodys- Sure, it’s great, but there are lots of other fun things that you can do with this lovely lady. Time to get a little wild!
Bloody Maria & The Smokin’ Bloody:
We are changing the flavor profile of the classic Bloody with the next two recipes. Basically, you are replacing the classic vodka with tequila or mezcal (a smoky tequila –esk liquor from Mexico) to create the base of The Bloody Maria and The Smokin’ Bloody. Follow the ratios in of 3 to 1- tomato juice to liquor.
And then, there is this…a very special Bloody Maria:
It all begins with 5 or 6 dried chipotles placed in a pitcher of tequila the day before the big game. Wrap the top of the pitcher with plastic wrap (or if it has a top, place the top on the pitcher). Put the pitcher aside. The next day, the tequila will go from clear to a deep orange color from the infused chilies. This gives the tequila a nice spice and smoke flavor.
Build your Bloody Maria or Smokin’ Bloody:
- Start your pitcher with 64 ounces of tomato juice, 20 ounces of tequila or mezcal, 3 teaspoons of celery salt, 2 teaspoons of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of pepper flakes and 2 teaspoons of the hot sauce of your choice.
- Fill your glass with a base of The Bloody Maria/The Smokin’ Mary mix and squeeze in some lime.
- Skewer up a full jalapeno, slide 3 full size taquitos and top with a cherry tomato. Also, you can add some sliced pickled jalapeno right into the glass.
- If you are feeling adventurous, add some chips, a thick chunk of avocado, a smoky thick cut of bacon, and…maybe get loco and add a mini burrito or mini tacos to the skewer.
The Coastal Mary- She loves long walks on the beach with you.
- Start your pitcher with a 64 ounce bottle of Clamato Juice, 20 ounces of vodka, 3 tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning, 3 tablespoons of celery salt, 2 tablespoons of horseradish and 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Use a citrus or peppery infused vodka.
- Then, fill up your glass about ¾ way and start to add all the seaside deliciousness you can find. From hot sauce, to rimming your glass with Old Bay Seasoning, to squeezing a lemon and dropping it in your glass, make your Mary your own.
- Don’t miss out on the opportunity to skewer big ol’ shrimps, and top the glass with fully outfitted oysters. It’s a seafood meal & an ocean ode drink, all in one!
The Bloody Bull- The masculine Mary
It’s a classic with a side of beef.
- Start your pitcher with 2 teaspoons of pepper and 3 tablespoons of celery salt in the bottom of the pitcher.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons of prepared horseradish and at least 7 shakes of Tabasco sauce. Add 46 ounces of tomato juice, 20 ounces of beef broth and 20 ounces of your favorite vodka.
- Fill your glass with the Bloody Bull mixture about ¾ to the top, add a small scoop of ice, then squeeze a wedge of fresh lemon and drop it into the mix.
- Here’s where things get really meaty. Add a meat straw, beef jerky, bacon, a stack of sliders slipped onto a sturdy skewer, add a beef rib, no…seriously it’s a meatsa-polloza of a Bloody Mary. Have fun, get creative and unleash the carnivore within.
The key to a successful Super Sexy Bloody Mary Bar for your next party? Start with the basics and have fun adding all the goodies that you and your guests love. Enjoy!